Saturday, May 16, 2009

Garvin Roof Rack


Not being able to find a roof rack anywhere for the Chevy Tracker / Suzuki Grand Vitara I was about to go the route of having one made. I found Garvin Wilderness Racks online and sent them a request by email. I received a quick response and fired back the answers to their questions, a few more emails back and forth and the phone rang, Chris at Garvin asked if I could send a single track to him. I obliged and asked for his last name for the UPS label, he replied Garvin, Chris Garvin, WOW the owner actually is hands on in this company. He set me up with a six inch tall rack that has track inserts you insert on each corner to attach a bracket to hold the roof rack on. My factory tracks were a bit difficult since the T15 torx heads were frozen or stripping so I drilled out the self tapping screws they used to assemble the tracks and used number 10 stainless Allen heads for a cost of $8.00 with drill bit and tap.
I picked up four light mounts, a high lift mount and the double axe and shovel mount, I have since added four more light mounts making the rack with lights, accessories and jack around $1200 dollars. I feel that is right on the money since I would have added the jack and mount later then the shovel and axe along with mount after that. I picked up a slick Jackson fiberglass shovel ($27) at Lowes and a red fiberglass handle axe $(30) at Lowes as well, Home Depot did not have anything that appealed to me.


1 comment: